Home Trending Brexit Travel Advice for Holidays in 2019 – HolidayTaxis Blog

Brexit Travel Advice for Holidays in 2019 – HolidayTaxis Blog


Advice for booking holidays after 29th March 2019 and general guidance for travelling in the EU after Brexit.

How will Brexit affect travel from the UK to Europe?

Even in the event of a no-deal Brexit, the European Commission has confirmed that UK airlines will still be able to fly between the UK and the EU. This statement has been supported by transport secretary Chris Grayling, who has said that “whether for business or leisure, travellers can continue to book with confidence”.

Passengers rights will remain the same in the case of any delays or flight cancellations after Brexit. However, it is advised that passengers check the terms and conditions of airlines for flights after March. We also recommend pre-booking an airport transfer to your resort or hotel to prevent any further queues or complications at your destination airport, in the case of any delays due to flights or additional security measures. For fully comprehensive protection, booking a package holiday usually ensures a full refund in a scenario where a holiday can no longer be provided.

Will passports still be valid after Brexit?

UK citizens travelling to Europe after the 29th March should ensure their passports are valid for a further 6 months from the date of arrival in an EU country. Travellers can check the validity of their passports using an online tool from the UK passport services.

It is very unlikely that British citizens will require a visa to visit the EU. However, the European commission has confirmed that, from 2021, UK citizens will be required to pay a €7 visa waiver fee.

Will Brexit affect travel insurance?

At the moment, emergency health care and pre-existing medical conditions are covered by the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). This may all change when we leave Europe in March. The best way to ensure you will be covered for travel after March is to take out suitable travel insurance. Pay particular attention to emergency cover and information on medical conditions.

How will it affect travelling with pets?

Pet passports under the EU Pet Travel Scheme will not be accepted in the event of a no-deal Brexit. Pets should still be able to travel, but owners would be required to provide different documentation. A visit to the vets may be needed up to 4 months ahead of travel.

Will I still be able to drive in Europe after Brexit?

Be aware that you may need additional paperwork to drive in the EU after the 29th March. In the event of a no-deal, you may be required to apply for a 12-month International Driving Permit (IDP). This would be carried alongside your normal driving licence. Permits can currently be bought from the Post Office, the AA, or the RAC for £5.50.

In addition, you would no longer be covered by the EU’s automatic third-party motor insurance cover. Drivers would be required to carry a physical Green Card, supplied by your insurer, while driving in the EU. It is recommended that you check the terms and conditions of any hire car company you plan to use abroad. You should also read the latest up-to-date information on driving ahead of your holiday.

Will mobile roaming charges stay the same?

If we leave the EU with a no-deal, there will no longer be a rule that mobile internet, calls and text services must be charged at the same rate in the EU as in the UK. However, some providers have stated they will continue to offer free roaming data in the EU. The government has also said it will impose a financial limit on data usage while in the EU, capped at £45 for the billing month.

Share this:


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here